Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Before Sunrise. Before Sunset. Before Midnight.*


Director: Richard Linklater 
Stars: Ethan HawkeJulie Delpy 



Before Sunrise / Prije svitanja (1995)

Jump on and live a Eurorail journey you will never forget!
... When love can come as a complete surprise
Can the greatest romance of your life last only one night?

Američki turist Jesse (E.Hawke) koji se bavi pisanjem i studentica Celine (J.Delpy) iz Francuske sasvim slučajno se sretnu i upoznaju na vlaku iz Budimpešte prema Beču. Osjetivši nesvakidašnju povezanost,  Jesse upita Celine hoće li provesti s njim noć u Beču na što ona pristaje iako oboje znaju da to će vjerojatno biti njihova jedina noć zajedno.
Radnja prikazuje dvoje mladih ljudi koji provode zajedničko vrijeme prije zakazanog leta sljedećeg jutra. Kako se dva potpuna stranca mogu tako intimno povezati tijekom samo jednog dana? Što je to posebno što dvije osobe veže tako snažno? Njihova povezanost pretvara se u dublje osjećaje kojih u tom trenu nisu još bili dovoljno svjesni, no što će se dogoditi sljedećeg jutra kada Jesse ode? Film završava sljedećeg dana na željezničkoj stanici, gdje se u žurbi dogovore da se sastanu na istom mjestu za šest mjeseci jer je vlak na odlasku.



Jesse: Alright, I have an admittedly insane idea, but if I don't ask you this it's just, uh, you know, it's gonna haunt me the rest of my life
Celine: What?
Jesse: Um... I want to keep talking to you, y'know. I have no idea what your situation is, but, uh, but I feel like we have some kind of, uh, connection. Right?
Celine: Yeah, me too.
Jesse: Yeah, right, well, great. So listen, so here's the deal. This is what we should do. You should get off the train with me here in Vienna, and come check out the capital.
Celine: What?
Jesse: Come on. It'll be fun. Come on.
Celine: What would we do?
Jesse: Umm, I don't know. All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30 and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so I was just going to walk around, and it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.
Jesse: Alright, alright. Think of it like this: jump ahead, ten, twenty years, okay, and you're married. Only your marriage doesn't have that same energy that it used to have, y'know. You start to blame your husband. You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life and what might have happened if you'd picked up with one of them, right? Well, I'm one of those guys. That's me y'know, so think of this as time travel, from then, to now, to find out what you're missing out on. See, what this really could be is a gigantic favor to both you and your future husband to find out that you're not missing out on anything. I'm just as big a loser as he is, totally unmotivated, totally boring, and, uh, you made the right choice, and you're really happy.
Celine: Let me get my bag.


Celine: You know what I want?
Jesse: What?
Celine: To be kissed.
Jesse: Well I can do that.


Celine: You know, I have this awful paranoid thought that feminism was mostly invented by men so that they could like, fool around a little more. You know, women, free your minds, free your bodies, sleep with me. We're all happy and free as long as I can fuck as much as I want.



Jesse: I'm having kind of an odd situation here, which is that... is... you see that girl over there? Yeah, well, this is our only night together. Here's the problem: The problem is that she wants a bottle of red wine, and I don't have any money. I was thinking that you might want to, um, give me the address of this bar, no, I know... and I would promise to send you the money, and you would make our night complete
Bartender: You would send me the money?
Jesse: Yes.
Bartender: Your hand?
Bartender: Okay. For the greatest night in your life.
Jesse: Thank you very much






Jesse: Listen, if somebody gave me the choice right now, of to never see you again or to marry you, alright, I would marry you, alright. And maybe that's a lot of romantic bullshit, but people have gotten married for a lot less.
Celine: Actually, I think I had decided I wanted to sleep with you when we got off the train. But now that we've talked so much, I don't know anymore.
Celine: Why do I make everything so complicated?



Celine: I don't think we should sleep together. I mean, I want to, but since we're never gonna see each other again, it will make me feel bad. I'll wonder who else you're with. I'll miss you.
Celine: I know. It's not very adult. Maybe it's a female thing. I can't help it.
Jesse: Let's see each other again.

Celine: Maybe we should meet here in five years or something.
Jesse: All right, all right, five year- Five years! That's a long time!
Celine: It's awful! It's like a sociological experiment!


Before Sunset / Prije sumraka (2004)

What if you had a second chance with the one that got away?

Devet godina nakon prvog susreta ponovo se sreću, ovaj put na francuskom tlu prilikom predstavljanja nove Jessejeve knjige inspirirane njegovim trenucima provedenim sa Celine koja je postala bestseller. 
Jesse ima slobodno popodne prije leta, stoga oni odluče prošetati i provesti vrijeme zajedno baš kao prije devet godina. 

Journalist #1: Do you consider the book to be autobiographical?
Jesse: Uh, well, I mean... isn't everything autobiographical?


Celine: Do I look any different?
[long pause]
Celine: I do?
Jesse: I'd have to see you naked.

Jesse: [describing how she looks different] Skinnier, I think. A little thinner.
Celine: Did you think I was fat before?
Jesse: [laughing] No!
Celine: Yeah, you thought I was a fatty. No, you thought I was a fatty! Yeah, you, you wrote a book about a fat French girl!
Jesse: No, listen...
Celine: [laughing] Oh, no...
Jesse: Seriously, all right, you look beautiful.





Jesse: Oh, God, why didn't we exchange phone numbers and stuff? Why didn't we do that?
Celine: Because we were young and stupid.
Jesse: Do you think we still are?
 
Jesse: And you can screw it up, you know, misconnect.


Celine: The past is the past. It was meant to be that way.
Jesse: Yeah?
Celine: Yeah, when given these exact circumstances, that's what will happen every time: two part hydrogen, one part oxygen, you get water every time.
Jesse: No, no, I - I - I mean what if your grandmother had lived a week longer, or, you know, or passed away a week earlier, days even. You know things might have been different. I believe that.
Celine: You can't think like that, it's...
Jesse: No, I mean, I know you shouldn't on most things, but - It's just, on this one it seemed like something was off, you know?

Celine: So, I want to try something.
Jesse: What?
Celine: [hugs him] I want to see if you stay together or if you dissolve into molecules.
Jesse: How'm I doing?
Celine: Still here.
Jesse: Good, I like being here.

Jesse: In the months leading up to my wedding, I was thinking about you all the time. I mean, even on my way there; I'm in the car, a buddy of mine is driving me downtown and I'm staring out the window, and I think I see you, not far from the church, right? Folding up an umbrella and walking into a deli on the corner of 13th and Broadway. And I thought I was going crazy, but now I think it probably was you.
Celine: I lived on 11th and Broadway.
Jesse: You see?


Jesse: You want to know why I wrote that stupid book?
Celine: Why?
Jesse: So that you might come to a reading in Paris and I could walk up to you and ask, "Where the fuck were you?"
Celine: [laughing] No - you thought I'd be here today?
Jesse: I'm serious. I think I wrote it, in a way, to try to find you.
Celine: Okay, that's - I know that's not true, but that's sweet of you to say.
Jesse: I think it is true.




Celine: [Celine's song] Let me sing you a waltz / Out of nowhere, out of my thoughts / Let me sing you a waltz / About this one night stand / You were, for me, that night / Everything I always dreamt of in life / But now you're gone / You are far gone / All the way to your island of rain / It was for you just a one night thing / But you were much more to me, just so you know / I don't care what they say / I know what you meant for me that day / I just want another try, I just want another night / Even if it doesn't seem quite right / You meant for me much more than anyone I've met before / One single night with you, little Jesse, is worth a thousand with anybody / I have no bitterness, my sweet / I'll never forget this one night thing / Even tomorrow in other arms, my heart will stay yours until I die / Let me sing you a waltz / Out of nowhere, out of my blues / Let me sing you a waltz / About this lovely one night stand



Before Midnight / Prije ponoći (2013)

Gotovo dva desetljeća nakon njihovog prvog susreta, Jesse i Celine provode vrijeme u Grčkoj. Suočavaju se sa prošlošću, sadašnjošću te se osvrću na budućnost - njihove ljubavi, obitelji, braka. Još jednom ulazimo u njihove živote, sve dok sat ne otkuca ponoć...






Celine: I feel close to you.
Jesse: Yeah?
Celine: But sometimes, I don't know? I feel like you're breathing helium and I'm breathing oxygen.
Jesse: [high pitched voice] What makes you say that?


Celine: One of the perks of being over 35 is that you don't get raped as much

Celine: Still there. Still there. Still there. Gone.


Jesse: I am giving you my whole life ok? I got nothing larger to give, I'm not giving it to anybody else. If you're looking for permission to disqualify me, I'm not gonna give it to you. Ok? I love you. And I'm not in conflict about it. Okay? But if what you want is like a laundry list of all the things that piss me off, I can give it to you.
Celine: Yeah, I want to hear.
Jesse: Okay well, number 1, you're fucking nuts! You are. Good luck! Find somebody else to put up with your shit for more than like 6 months okay? But I, accept the whole package, the crazy and the brilliant. I know you're not gonna change and I don't want you to. It's called accepting you for being you.


Jesse: You are the fucking mayor of Crazytown, do you know that? You are!


Jesse: I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing.


Celine: Well, it must be one hell of a night we're about to have.



xoxo, S&I

No comments:

Post a Comment